1. JACOB SCHNADER /1 SCHNEDER was born in Switzerland near the boundary line of Baden & Wurtemburg, and died in came to America 11 Sep 1729 on the ship "Allen". He married UNKNOWN.
Notes for JACOB SCHNADER / SCHNEDER:
THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WAS TAKEN FROM: THE HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL ANNALS OF BERKS COUNTY BY MORTON L. MONTGOMERY
JAMES F. SCHNADER, OF Cumru township, Berks county, was born July 18, 1869, in Cumru township, son of Franklin K. and Fietta (Saylor) Schnader.
The great-great-grandfather of JAMES F. SCHNADER was JOHN JACOB SCHNADER, who was one of the organizers of the Center Lutheran and Reformed Church of Lancaster county, the site of which is the burial ground of many of his descendants. When he settled four miles back of the Conestoga river, in the virgin forest, all of the surrounding country was a wilderness and here he at once commenced to clear land. At the time of his death, in 1829, when ninety-five years old, he was the owner of 1000 acres of excellent land. He married a second time when seventy-five years of age. Mr. Schnader was known as a remarkable man in many ways, but was always highly esteemed for his many sterling traits of character. His son, BALZER SCHNADER, born in 1765, at the old homestead, married BARBARA KITZMILLER. After marriage, he located in Franklin county, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits for a few years and then returned to his native township and became the owner of a fine farm of 270 acres. He erected the first stone house built in the neighborhood, the roof of which was of imported tiles and the glass in the windows was but four inches square. Balzer Schnader was the father of fourteen children, among whom were: Jacob, born Dec. 25, 180-, died Nov. 13 1861; Amos; William; John; Sally; Betsy; James; Lydia; and Mary.
JAMES SCHNADER, grandfather of James F., was born Nov 23, 1802, in Lancaster county, and died Oct. 5, 1872. For some years he lived in Cumberland county, and in 1842 came to Brecknock township, Berks county, where the remainder of his life was spent. He owned a farm of 100 acres of land, which was highly cultivated, and he was considered a substantial and representative citizen of his day and community. He is buried at Allegheny Church, as is his wife, both being members of that organization. JAMES SCHNADER married SUSANNA KESSLER, daughter of JOHANNES KESSLER, born Feb. 10, 1805, who died Nov. 22, 1881, and they had these children: Maria, who married John Sweitzer; Richard, who married Angelina Deeds; Franklin, who married Fietta Saylor; John, who married Amanda Jones; James, who married Anna M. C. Grater; and Susanna, who married Samuel Hartz.
FRANKLIN K. SCHNADER, father of James F., was a gun-barrel manufacturer and farmer along the Wyomissing in Cumru township, where he became a substantial and highly esteemed citizen. Born in Brecknock township Jan 1, 1831, early in life he came to Cumru township, and this section of the country was his home until his death, May 14, 1906. He and his family were members of Gouglersville Church, of which he was deacon and elder. Mr. Schnader married FIETTA SAYLOR, born in October, 1832, daughter of JOHN SAYLOR of Alsace township. Five children were born to this union as follows: Nathaniel S., born March 30, 1854, a gun-barrel manufacturer of Cumru township, also conducting a cider mill which manufacturers as much as 90,000 gallons annually, married in 1875, Victoria Zeamer, daughter of Henry Zeamer, and to them were born eight children, as follows: Mary, Charles, Frank, Katie, Carrie, William, Gertie and Stephen; HENRY, who married MARY WERTZ, died in 1888, aged thirty-two years, seven months, eighteen days; Mary E., who married John A. Von Neida, of Bowmansville, Pa.; Adallia, who married Samuel K. Ramp of Brecknock township; and James F., of Cumru township.
JAMES F. SCHNADER received his education in the public schools of his native township, leaving them at the age of sixteen years to learn the milling trade with John A. Von Neida, of Bowmansville, Pa., with whom he continued for upwards of a year. He then learned the painting trade with Frank Folfinger, of Mohnton, with whom he continued for three years, working also for Mosser & Pauling, painting contractors, for four years. Mr. Schnader then worked for himself for two years and for four years at the trade in Reading, then engaging in the milling business, at the mill erected by his father, known as the Wyomissing Grist, which was the first mill obtaining its power from the Wymomissing creek. After the death of his father in 1906, Mr. Schnader came into possesion of the Schnader homestead in Cumru township, a tract of forty-seven acres, on which property is the famous old gun-barrel factory, where gun-barrels were manufactured during the Revolutionary war, one of the oldest business places in the county, and here also is situated the cider-press, where thousands of barrels of apples are ground into cider annually. The present home was built by his father in 1860. Mr. Schnader also owns thirty-seven acres of heavily timbered land and his own home on the road leading from Mohnton to Gouglerville.
In politics Mr. Schnader is a staunch Democrat, and in the spring of 1906 was elected by a handsome majority to the office of school director of Cumru township, which has thirty schools. He takes a great interest in educational matters and is an efficient man for the office. He and his family are members of Gouglersville Union Church, belonging to the Reformed denomination.
In the year, 1894 Mr. Schnader was married
to Annie M. Unger, born Dec. 3, 1874, daughter of George and Annie (Bower)
Unger, natives of Wittenberg, Germany, and to them were born children as
follows: Sadie W., born March 21, 1895; Clara M., born
July 26, 1897; James H., born Aug. 25, 1899; Annie F., born
Oct. 6, 1901; Wayne A., born Dec. 19, 1904; and Harland A., born
Jan. 17, 1907.
Child of JACOB SCHNEDER and UNKNOWN is:
2. i. JOHN JACOB2 SCHNADER, b. March 08, 1734/35, Lancaster County , Bowmansville; d. July 09, 1829, Buried at Center Lutheran church of Bowmansville, Pennsylvania.
2. JOHN JACOB2 SCHNADER (JACOB SCHNADER /1 SCHNEDER) was born March 08, 1734/35 in Lancaster County , Bowmansville, and died July 09, 1829 in Buried at Center Lutheran church of Bowmansville, Pennsylvania.
Notes for JOHN JACOB SCHNADER:
Jacob Schnader: At the time of his death he owned 1000 acres of land. Some of the land was purchased
from William Morris, the Welshman who received one of the first warrants of land within Brecknock
Township, Lancaster County.
Jacob Schnader was a farmer and builder (houses).
Children of JOHN JACOB SCHNADER are:
3. i. BALTZER3 SCHNADER, b. 1765, at the Schnader homestead; d. February 21, 1853, East Earl Township, Lanc. County, PA Center Lutheran Church.
ii. CHRISTIAN SCHNADER.
iii. ELISABET SCHNADER.
3. BALTZER3 SCHNADER (JOHN JACOB2, JACOB SCHNADER /1 SCHNEDER) was born 1765 in at the Schnader homestead, and died February 21, 1853 in East Earl Township, Lanc. County, PA Center Lutheran Church. He married BARBARA KITZMILLER / KITZMUELLER.
Notes for BALTZER SCHNADER:
The following was taken from "The People of Bownmansville" by Charles Spotts
Community Historians Annal number nine
Schaff Library Lancaster Theological Seminary Lancaster, Pa
Community Historians Vol. 9, No. 4 July 1970
Reformed and Lutheran Settlers
On September 11, 1729, the Ship Allen brought froom Cowes on the Isle of Wright, England, five persons, whose name on the Captain's list is spelled "Snyder"; on the Oath of Allegiance list, "Schneider," and on the Oath of Abjuration list, "Schneder." The names are Christian, Jacob, and Mathias; Magdelin and Susannah. Apparently two of the men were married. It is believed tht the home of the Schneders was in Switzerland, near the boundary line of Baden and Wurtemburg. After landing at Philadelphia they soon started for (Weberthal) Weaverland, where their friends, George, Henry and Jacob Weber had preceded them by several years. The Schneders were followers of Zwingli, but the Webers were Mennonites.
Of the three Schneders, Christian remained in Weaverland and became the progenitor, among many others, of the late Aaron W. Snader, Esquire, once member of the Legislature of Pennsylvania. Mathias and Jacob went northeast and took up, by patent, 250 acres of land about where Center Church now stands, two miles south of Bowmansville. Jacob also purchased land from William Morris, the Welshman who received one of the first warrants for land within Brecknock Township.
The first Jacob had a son Jacob, born March 8, 1735, less than six years after his parents had landed in the New World. He settled at a splendid spring of water, and in 1770, the date being plainly marked on teh west gable, he built the very substantial house, which still stands near Center Church, remodeled and somewhat enlarged. Its walls are two feet thick. It contained an enormoous fireplace. Before he died in 1829, 94 years old, he had become possessed of some 1000 acres of land. He is buried a few rods in from the gate of the Center Church graveyard, alongside of his small daughter, Elisabet, who died in 1777.
The early history of Center Reformed Church is, in a sense, the history of the Schneder family. It was originally called Center Church because it is centrally located in respect to the four congregations from which its early membership was chiefly drawn ---- New Holland Zeltenreich's (1732) and Muddy Creek (1730) in Lancaster County; and Allegheny (1767) and Forest (Plow -- 1780) in Berks County.
Burials were made in a stony tract on the Jacob Schneder farm before the Center Congregation was organized. Jacob Schneder's daughter Elizabet, who died in 1777, was probably the firest to be buried in this tract, although the beginnings of this congregation seems to coincide with this burial. At first a small rough building was used for Services. At least eight generations of Schneders are buried in this cemetery, which was one time a part of Jacob Schneder's farm. The name St. John's was given to the congregation in 1872.
We don't know how many children Jacob Schnader
had, but there is a tradition that he built, or helped his children build,
four large stone housed, three of which still remain as notable landmarks;
the one known as the Schweitzer house, along Route 625, and on which is
located one of the few sulpher springs to be found in Lancaster County;
the Stauffer house, built for his son Christian, 1795; and the Joel Eshelman
house, restored some years ago by the late Dr. John Wenger of Terre Hill.
In addition, he purched for his son, Baltzer, what was long known as the
Christian Pleam place, near the White Oak School, the place on which Casper
Messner had built a stone mansion. Baltzer moved here April 10, 1796,
having lived in Franklin County for several years, and occupied this place
until 1826, when he built the stone house that still stands on the former
Bender farm. He sold the first farm to Christian Pleam, who died
in the old house March 13, 1877. Like his father, Baltzer Schneder
lived a long life (1765 - 1853), being 87 years old when he died.
Children of BALTZER SCHNADER and BARBARA KITZMUELLER are:
4. i. JAMES4 SCHNADER, b. November 23, 1802, Pennsylvania; d. October 05, 1872, Pennsylvania.
ii. JACOB SCHNADER, d. November 13, 1861.
iii. AMOS SCHNADER.
iv. WILLIAM SCHNADER.
v. JOHN SCHNADER.
vi. SALLY SCHNADER.
vii. BETSY SCHNADER.
viii. LYDIA SCHNADER.
ix. MARY SCHNADER.
4. JAMES4 SCHNADER (BALTZER3, JOHN JACOB2, JACOB SCHNADER /1 SCHNEDER)
was born November 23, 1802 in Pennsylvania, and died October 05, 1872 in
Pennsylvania. He married SUSANNA KESSLER / KESLER, daughter of JOHANNES
Children of JAMES SCHNADER and SUSANNA KESLER are:
i. FRANKLIN K.5 SCHNADER, b. January 01, 1831, Pennsylvania; d. May 15, 1906, Pennsylvania buried: Wymomissing Cemetery; m. FIATTA SAYLOR.
ii. MARIA SCHNADER, m. JOHN SWEITZER.
iii. RICHARD SCHNADER, m. ANGELINA DEEDS.
iv. JOHN SCHNADER, m. AMANDA JONES.
v. JAMES SCHNADER, m. ANNA M. C. GRATER.
vi. SUSANNA SCHNADER, m. SAMUEL HARTZ.